mPulse Events2021 Yale Young African Scholars
2021 Yale Young African ScholarsDeadline: 16th February 2021
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive guidance on university admissions and career path options, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa. Following the seven-day program, students will be paired with mentors who will advise them throughout the university application process. There is no tuition cost for students to participate in YYAS.
To keep everyone safe during the global pandemic, YYAS 2021 will be an online program. YYAS will be hosting a seven-day virtual session using various digital platforms from 25th July to 31st July 2021*. Relevant program information will be communicated directly to admitted students via email.
YYAS is an official program of Yale University.
*Program dates are subject to change. Alternative dates are 1st August to 7th August 2021. A final decision will be made before offers of admission are sent to students.
- Applicant must be at least 14 and 18 years old.
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- Must be a current 11th grade student (or the international equivalent). If you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2022. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2021 and no later than November/December 2022.
- If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
- If you are a YYAS or YYGS alumnus/a, you may NOT apply for YYAS. (*However, if you are a YYAS alumnus/a, you can apply to YYGS if eligible.)
The following list describes the typical YYAS requirements, although the most up-to-date and accurate information is always in the application.
The following three (3) components are required of all applicants:
- Completed application form - The application can be found online and must be filled out by the applicant.
- Official transcript or grade report(s)- A student transcript is an official document provided by the school and includes the applicant’s list of courses and grades received.
- One (1) teacher recommendation- The recommendation must be filled out via the Online Recommendation Form that will be sent to a teacher’s email after the student provides their contact details.
Recommendations from parents/guardians, siblings, relatives, family friends, and/or paid private tutors/counselors will NOT be accepted.
How to Apply
Review the YYAS eligibility criteria.
Review the YYAS application required components.
Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
Complete the Application:
ClickAPPLY NOWto start your YYAS application. Be sure to write down your email and password to access the application at a later time. The deadline to complete and submit the application is 16 February 2021 @ 11:59pm EST.
Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components and re-visit any pages that require further information.
Once your application is complete, click on the “Review” page. Next click on the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the page.
Check your inbox for a YYAS confirmation receipt that indicates the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, due to occasional delays payment processing.
Kindly email email@example.com if you have further questions to ask
Interested? Click here to apply